Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sexual Harrassment?

I am writing an article on sexual harrassment in the workplace for my upcoming mock magazine. So far the process is going terribly bad. I contacted The Manitoba Human Rights Commission and was told some "interesting" things by one of their workers who fields calls and logs filed complaints, however, there is no solid statistical evidence which backs up the "fact" (I think it's a fact) that sexual harrassment even exists.

The stats are dismal, in the last year there have been only 35 complaints filed, 35! So I am wondering if people are too scared to say anything about it, or if they don't really care anymore.

Has our society become so sexualized that sexual harrassment is now a non-issue? Does that mean that if I am feeling uncomfortable with being talked to inappropriately in the workplace that maybe I'm just not that "hip to the jig" and I need to loosen up?

Personally, I think it would be nearly impossible to sexually harrass me anyway cause I'd just knee a brother in the balls, laugh and walk away, but what about the women/men who just aren't that fierce, like the people who are too shy or too scared to stand up for themselves? What happens to them?

Also, if there are no stats and no complaints are filed inside or outside the workplace, than maybe there really is nothing going on....?

I am torn, this article is sooo confusing. But... I will still write it, "grey" areas included! If you're really lucky it may even end up posted here... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment