Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Babies-The Perfect Accessory?

My favourite show just ended. Since June 11th I have been religiously watching the reality tv series, 16 and Pregnant.






I have very firm beliefs that if a couple is "not ready" for a baby than they shouldn't have one. But, having never been in the position that these young couples are in I have decided that my opinion is completely biased and unfair. The show chronicles the lives of 16 year old high school students who "become pregant". Each episode begins with a summary of the pregnant girl's life to date, and ends following the birth and first few weeks of baby being at home. I personally have my own very specific credentials that must be met prior to having children. But it is still left to be decided whether I will actually have them or not!

1. I must be over the age of 30.
2. I must be established in my chosen career field.
3. I must be financially stable (specifically, I must be able to buy my child a brand new car on his/her 16th birthday)
4. I must be in a stable relationship (preferably married)

Now given my "baby" credentials, I became a viewer of this show mainly to pass judgement. I also like to constantly reinforce the idea that children are hard, and no matter how cute they are I am not ready to have them! As the season of "16 and Pregnant" comes to a close I am left wondering how these couples could possibly think that they were "ready for baby". Furthermore, what happens to their own lives once the baby is the focal point of it? What happens to their own dreams and aspirations? Are they willing to give those up in exchange of the ".....and baby makes three?"

Also, given all my credentials, and how these families "accidentally" come about, who's to say which family will be happiest, or even which child will be happiest. When all is said and done, is it better to just live life spontaneously and take each hit as it comes? Or is it more responsible to preplan life milestones, and hold them off until you're ready for them?

In the end, I am rooting for these kids and their babies. But I would still rather buy myself a new purse than a pack of diapers.

I invite discussion on this one......I think it could get very interesting.

6 comments:

  1. "16 and pregnant" would have to be my MTV guilty pleasure. I followed the show and thought it was awesome. Although some people claim it's 'controversial', maybe making the statement that it's 'okay to be 16 and pregnant', I think it's real.

    It's real life, these things do happen, young kids may have unprotected sex, and that could result in a pregnancy. The series is great at showing the consequences of the choice to have unprotected sex. The last episode had me in tears! 16 is waaayyy too young to have a baby. Even at 21, I feel too young for babies! You know when your ready, and it's different for everyone. Some girls are married with kids by the age of 23, others choose to wait and establish themselves with a career, and for others it just happens!

    They are actually coming out with a show called "After baby" or something. We'll get to see what happened with all the young couples and how they are coping. Should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you note that you started watching the show to pass judgment, because that's totally why I watch Toddlers and Tiaras. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies. Excited for "after baby" that sounds super interesting. Toddlers and Tiaras...oh dont even get me started on that one! Those poor girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe you give some sound advice in the 4 credentials you should have before deciding to have a baby. I would have loved to have watched the show to see how each teen was able to deal with a very, very hard situation differently.

    And for the record, I can't stop watching the little fake eyelashes get cried right off their faces on Toddlers & Tiaras. On TLC; I remember when your name stood for The Learning Channel...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "3. I must be financially stable (specifically, I must be able to buy my child a brand new car on his/her 16th birthday)"

    You're going to the best mom ever. Very "Super Sweet 16" of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually that is exactly where I got the "brand new car on the 16th birthday"-thing. Good call! HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete