Monday, October 12, 2009

What an Inspiration!

I am always inspired (and hopeful for my future) when I get the opportunity to meet successful, independent and intelligent women. I am impressed when a woman can be successful professionally, and have a career that she is proud of. After all, we are not only here to make babies and get married.

I am grateful to have been in the presence of one such woman at a Red River College presentation on October 8th. There are seminars held for our CreComm program every Thursday, but this particular presentation was especially memorable. Our guest speakers' name was Jackie Shymanski, and she spoke of a career which many of us only dream of. She got her start in TV and Radio, and landed her "dream job" at CKY several years later. A woman of many aspirations, she moved on to a career as a "fireman" for CNN. She was stationed as a Journalist to cover news in war-torn countries, and as a result her life was in danger more than once.

She has since returned to her hometown of Winnipeg. She is working on a book on the Middle East, and a documentary on the psychology of aging. While my classmates and I sat in awe of her accomplishments, she plainly stated that she "just never gave up". When she had a goal she went for it. She also said to work in this profession you "have to have balls", and "not be afraid of change." It was so inspiring to see someone who has done all the things that she has, and it gave me a lot of hope for my future as a professional. She concluded her speech with a quote that I won't soon forget, "Try different things, figure out what it is you really want to do and pursue it, PURSUE, PURSUE, PURSUE!".

It was an honor to hear your story, and I'm sure I speak for everyone in that room when I say you are a true inspiration!

Thankyou Jackie

(I also appreciate your honest response at the end of the presentation to my very blunt question. I will always keep that advice in the back of my mind!)

1 comment: