Thursday, November 5, 2009

Places to find love

I was watching Sex and the City the other night. But this is pretty typical cause I'll watch it anytime that it's on. Actually the inspiration behind this blog is from Carrie Bradshaw, if that wasn't already very obvious. So back to the issue at hand....the episode where Carrie coaches women on where to find mates was on, and I started thinking about where to find mates in Winnipeg. Now I'm talking about real mates here, not those disposable ones! So where do women in Winnipeg go to meet men? Is it at bars? I hope not cause those guys are skeazy. Is it pubs/lounges? And if so, how do they come about it? Do you just slyly approach a full table of dudes and take your pick? And how awkward is that?! But besides the obvious bars/pubs lounges I brainstormed on some other places to meet a potential mate:

-Work (can at times be quite the scandal)
-School (also quite the scandal)
-The gym (endorphins make you feel sexy)
-The grocery store (good if you're over 30)
-Getting gas ("Oh can you help me with the pump, it's not working for me!)
-Some sort of class (pottery, cooking, sewing, etc.)
-At a concert (one of my personal favourites)
-At swimming lessons (I saw this one on Cosmo TV)
-At a cafe (only for the brave)
-At a sporting event (sister/brothers soccer,baseball,hockey game)
-Bowling! (way easier when it's glow bowling, dim lights work wonders)
-At a shopping mall
-At a restaurant

etc, etc, etc...this could go on for awhile, I think you see where I'm going with this.

Since there are obviously tons of places to meet a potential mate why are there still people finding love online? Now you see where I'm going...I finally got there! I don't comprehend online dating sites/chat forums such as P.O.F. (Plenty of Fish), E-Harmony, and whatever else is out there! And why all the complaints and rationalizations that these are being used cause its "hard to meet someone". I meet "someones" everyday of my life, and sure, I am single, but I bet if I actually wanted a mate I could find one, and without the help of the internet. Also, I'm not just ragging on these dating sites because I think people should go out and meet people in person (ok thats half why) but because these sites are a farce! Thats right, a farce! I have several girlfriends who have been lured into the trap of these sites searching for love and companionship only to find that it does not exist here. These men are not on these sites to find true love, they're just looking for a good time. Thats the truth! They are looking to prey on desperate females, and catch them in their most vulnerable states. When women decide to dive headfirst into these dating sites, it is because they have exhausted all other avenues. These men know that, and they come onto these sites with evil and deceit on the menu.

Anytime a friend has met up with one of these P.O.F. Pervs they suggest "going back to his place", or ask personal questions regarding their current/past sexual experiences. My friends are then sad and disappointed that this one wasn't "Mr. Right". I always tell them, "You can't find Mr. Right when you're all wrong." If you are putting out the message that you're desperate and dying to find love, then Mr. Right will be hella turned off! Would you want to be with someone that is giving off the impression that no one wants to be with them? I sure wouldn't.

So basically I have a couple pointers to take away from today's rant

-There are plenty of places to meet potential mates
-You don't need the internet
-The majority of males on dating sites are perv's
-"Mr. Right won't want you if you're all wrong"

As always I invite criticism and/or agreement/praise. But I'm pretty sure that I'm right and you all know it!

-Christa ;)

3 comments:

  1. I understand dating sites, because often times people are very shy and find it easier to get to know someone online, thus making the first date slightly easier. My cousin married a woman he met over the internet this past summer, and they're perfect for each other.

    I dabbled in internet dating in the past, because I'm rather shy, but it didn't work out well. All the dates I went on were with guys who were looking for commitment, but none of them were right for me.

    And you forgot another great way to meet men: through friends! If done in the right way, it can work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise some very good points!

    Keep in mind that my arguments are always somewhat cynical, and should not be taken for complete truths.

    I sometimes forget that people can be shy and therefore might benefit from less threatening forms of communication than the in-person option offers!

    And.....you found guys who wanted commitment? I am amazed/impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what Jennifer has to say. I find that I am very awkward when trying to talk to men in person. I turn red and stare at my shoes, I'm not even kidding! Though I don't use dating sites, I have made friends (and sometimes more) through social networking sites, and other blogging sites and message boards. So don't fully discount the online thing, after all, my mom met my stepdad through ICQ 10 years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete